Friday, May 27, 2011

The first Pike Armstrong pages

I dug up some early Pike Armstrong artwork. The following is a teaser image I produced which was published in an issue of Comicopia, I do believe. I wanted to keep certain details 'in the dark', as you'll notice:

I can't recall the exact date the following 4 page story was drawn. It was definitely during a break in between animation productions, and is the first 'official' Pike tale. I was still trying to get a feel for the character and his world, and like the energy of the pages. The panel arrangement and pacing needs work, but all in all, a fun little introduction to Pike and one of his rogues, Sweet Tooth.











Drawing Pike always makes me question if my style fits the character; I tend to draw in a clean, 'Silver Age' style with a slight animation vibe. I figure that a concept like Pike requires a bold, exaggerated style, with bombast and dynamic poses (hey, I'm a big fan of Jack Kirby, who almost single-handedly created Silver Age Marvel comics). I decided to have a fresh perspective tackle my character, and I'll display the results in a future blog.








No comments:

Post a Comment